The NOSWB reported in a 2:30 p.m. press conference that the power outage lasted only three minutes and in their professional opinion, "the water is fine." In an abundance of caution, the advisory could last until 2 p.m. tomorrow October 9, when the results of tests of water samples will be completed. This boil advisory is in effect for the residents of the East Bank of Orleans Parish until further notice.
Tips for restaurants while under a boil advisory (per La. Dept. of Health & Hospitals):
- Bottled water can be used for food prep, cooking, washing/rinsing/sanitizing of utensils and food contact surfaces, as well as for hand washing.
- Single service utensils (paper/plastic plates, forks, spoons, knives) can be used.
- In bathrooms, provide bottled water or potable water for washing hands.
- Notify your customers of the boil advisory and explain precautions and safety practices.
- Ice machines must be disabled.